Wednesday, June 1, 2011

{Sweet Wedding Inspirations: Sky Lanterns}

I hope you all enjoyed the long weekend and had some time to reflect and pray for our service men and women and their families. 
With Memorial Day behind us, I can’t help, but to think about the onset of summer.  My husband (Eddie) and I were married almost 2 summers ago and I'm really looking forward to celebrating our wedding anniversary (preferably somewhere on a beach). 
Over the long weekend, we were able to pop into the movie theater to see The Hangover Part 2.  Although, I wasn’t a huge fan of the movie (I loved part 1), I did take away some sweet wedding inspiration.  I thought this sky lantern tradition found in some Asian cultures, would be a unique idea to incorporate into a summer time, beach or destination wedding (just be sure to check with your city for permission first).
I was amazed by how pretty it looked so I did a little research.  Here’s what I found… Sky lanterns are constructed from oiled rice paper in a bamboo frame.  They contain a small candle or fuel cell composed of a waxy flammable material. When lit, the flame heats the air inside the lantern and lowers its density, causing the lantern to rise into the air, similar to a hot air balloon. The sky lantern is only airborne for as long as the flame stays alight, after which the lantern floats back to the ground.
It is believed that, as the lanterns rise into the air, they take away troubles and bring good luck. Guests are able to write their wishes for the couple, to be sent to the sky or to be carried into the Heavens.


Did you or are you thinking of incorporating wedding traditions into your wedding day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart candy and comments!